This ski tour program is for those who want to cover as much as possible of the area around Mount Kazbek. The program includes skiing in a high-altitude alpine zone and climbing to the summit of Mount Kazbek.
Unique feature of the program
On the way to the summit there are a lot of diverse and interesting lines. We decided not to miss this opportunity and to include them in the program. Every day we will ski new lines, gradually acclimatizing and moving higher and higher up the mountain. This is not a simple ski tour ascending and descending the mountain; it is an entire expedition to the most interesting places in the surrounding area.
Program dates: April 18-25th, 2020
Altitude of the base camp at Bethlemi Hut: 3650 m
Time to reach Bethlemi Hut: 6-7 hours
Cost of the program: € 980
This price includes:
- Certified RGMA guides
- Transfer from Tbilisi to Stepantsmindi and back
- Transfer from Stepantsminda to Gergeti Church and back
- All shared equipment
- Meals on the mountain (breakfast, lunch and dinner)
- Gas canisters, gas stoves and kitchen equipment
- First Aid Kit, Repair Kits for Skis / Splitboards / Boots
- Accommodation in Stepantsminda – 1 night
- Accommodation in Bethlemi Hut (high-altitude shelter) – 5 nights
- Air fare to Tbilisi
- Health Insurance and Medical Coverage for Extreme Sports
- Accommodation in Tbilisi
- Meals in Tbilisi and Stepantsminda
Requirements for participants:
- experience of skiing off-piste (with difficult terrain, and slope gradients up to 40°);
- ski tour experience;
- ability to use avalanche equipment;
- to be in good physical shape (daily ski tour ascent is 1000-1500 meters);
- special extreme sports medical insurance plan valid from 18/04/2020 till 25/04/2020.
It’s important to know!
There is only one day that involves climbing with a backpack: from Gergeti Church (2170 m) to Bethlemi Hut (3650 m). This journey takes 6-7 hours.
Provisions are equally divided between all the program participants (everyone carries some in their backpack). The guides prepare food for all the program participants. At this point it is not possible to load any cargo onto horses.
Day 1. Meeting in Tbilisi. Transfer to Stepantsminda, check-in at the hotel.
Day 2. Acclimatization ski tour in the area of Gudauri – Stepantsminda. Return to the hotel.
Day 3. Ascent to Gergeti Church by car. Ski tour to Sabertse Pass (2950 m). Climb to Bethlemi Hut (3650 m). Accommodation in the shelter.
Day 4. Ski tour in the area of Sabertse Pass and the Ortsveri Mountains.
Day 5. Ski tour and freeriding in the area of Mount Kazbek. Active acclimatization at altitudes of 3500-4500 m.
Day 6. Climbing Kazbek. Descending to Bethlemi Hut.
Day 7. Reserve day.
Day 8. Packing up and descending to Gergeti Church. Transfer to Stepantsminda, return to Tbilisi.
Equipment necessary for skiing:
- Ski tour / splitboard kit
- Ski crampons
- Avalanche equipment (transmitter, shovel, probe)
- Telescopic poles (for snowboarders)
Personal equipment needed for the camp:
- Sleeping bag (comfort rating -10 ° C)
- Sleeping pad (inflatable is recommended)
Required personal equipment
- Capacious backpack with the ability to transport skis / splitboard (minimum 50 liters)
- Soft-shell jacket
- Soft-shell pants
- Thermal underwear
- Thermal socks – 2-3 pairs
- Warm mittens / gloves
- Thin gloves
- Sunglasses (factor 3 or higher)
- Boots (snowboard / ski)
- Change of shoes for the camp
- Down jacket
- Fleece or synthetic jacket
- Down / Fleece / Synthetic Warm Pants
- Headlamp Flashlight + spare batteries
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+)
- Bowl, cup, spoon
- Thermos flask (desirable)
- Personal first aid kit
- Personal repair kit
- Personal Hygiene Products
Climbing equipment required:
- Climbing harness for mountaineering (or ski touring)
- 50-60 cm ice pick
- Climbing crampons
- Locking karabiners, 4-5 pcs.
- 7 mm cord, 12 meters long
- 16-22 cm ice screw, 1 pc.
Please write to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Read the article MT. KAZBEK IN ONE DAY. REPORT FROM WILDGURU GUIDES