Khorisar Backountry Camp – backcountry camp in the area around Khorisar volcano (Main Caucasus Range, Georgia).
Program: 2 days of skiing/snowboarding at the resort + 5 days of full-time ski-tour and riding at one of the best spots around Gudauri
when paying in advance before 1 January 2017 $350
after 1 January 2017 $400
What’s included in the price::
- 7 days of experienced local guides service, well-acquainted with the region;
- Accompaniment by organizers from the start of deployment to the camp to the end of camp;
- Сonsultations on any administrative and other issues, information support;
- Сamp stuff is transported by organizers on 10th of April;
- General camp equipment (Common expedition tent for eating and heating, prepared places for tents);
- Three times per day meal during camp (Breakfast, supper and snacks during the day);
- Gas for cooking;
- Transfer Gudauri – Khorisar – Gudauri;
- 3 days of accommodation in Wildguru hostel;
- Common medical kit and equipment repair kit;;
- Celebration party on the last day.
You can read a report about Khorisar-2016 here.
Requirements for participants
- Confident level of off-piste riding;
- Know the basics of avalanche safety;
- Special extreme medical insurance for the camp period 09.04.17 – 14.04.17
Location and weather
Huge volcanic tongue of the Small Khorisar peak created a unique location near Gudauri. This snow plateau is located at the altitude of 2700m and surrounded by such peaks as Khorisar (3736m), Dedaena (3450m) and Khyrguma (3291m). Steep rock couloirs of the Dedaena – Khyrguma ridge, snow fields of Small Khorisar with a huge number of snow pillows and steep walls of Khorisar volcano create perfect and versatile freeride terrain. Big altitude and slopes orientation towards the north let snow hold for a long time and be in good condition for riding. That’s the reason why freeride in April in this area is popular among experienced riders.
Daily temperatures: Usually a bit below 0 °C, but sun and no wind make location comfortable for ski-tour.
Temperatures at night: decline to around -10 °C.
- Dates: April 8–14, 2017
- Base camp altitude: 2630 m above sea level
- Time to base camp: 3-4 hours
- Altitude to gain to reach base camp: 600 m
April 8–10: hostel WildGuru;
April 10–14: tents in a location specifically prepared for the camp;
April 14-15: hostel WildGuru.
- Food: cooking with gas stoves, eating in hostel;
- Difficulty level: middle (active riding during 5 days with regular climbs on skitour/splitboard).
Required equipment for riding
- Avalanche beacon
- Avalanche shovel
- Avalanche probe
- Skitour/splitboard kit
- Trekking poles (for snowboarders)
Required equipment for camp
- Sleeping bag (comfort -10 °C)
- Sleeping pad
- Tent (for 2-4 people)
- Gas stove (for 2-4 people)
- Cooking pot (for 2-4 people)
Required personal equipment
- Membrane jacket
- Membrane pants
- Base layer (Thermal underwear)
- Thermal socks – 2-3 pairs
- Mittens / gloves
- Boots (snowboard / ski)
- Down / Synthetic insulation jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Down / Fleece / Synthetic insulated pants
- Head Flashlight + spare set of batteries
- Sunburn cream
- A bowl, a cup, a spoon
- Thermos (optional)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Spare parts
Preparing for the camp
April 8 During the day we ski the slopes and ski off-piste at Gudauri ski resort. The group gets to meet each other, level of riding and preparedness is evaluated after lunch the group goes for the avalanche search training with beacons. In the evening: lecture about Khorisar area (also studying area map)
April 9 Second warm-up day, ski-tour to one of the locations. In the afternoon we pack and prepare for moving out.
Detailed camp program
- 8.00–9.00 Transfer to the start point
- 9.00–12.00 Ski-tour to the base camp
- 12.00–14.00 Setting up the camp
- 14.00–18.00 Ski-tour or rest
- Ski-tour in Khorisar area
- 6.00–14.00 Ski-tour
- 14.00–15.00 Packing up the base camp
- 15.00–16.00 Returning to civilization
- 16.00–17.00 Transfer to Gudauri
- 19.00 Good-bye party at WildGuru Hostel
- Transfer Tbilisi – Gudauri: 80-100$ (4-7 people);;
- Avalanche equipment (beacon, shovel, probe): $12/day;
- Ski-tour / Splitboard kit: $15/day.
More information about rent here.
- WildGuru hostel: from $25 (including meals twice a day).