Khorisar Backountry Camp – backcountry camp in the area around Khorisar volcano (Main Caucasus Range, Georgia).
Program: 2 days of skitour/freeride at the resort + 5 days of full-time ski-tour and riding at one of the best spots around Gudauri
What’s included in the price:
- 7 days of certified RMGA guide service;
- Accompaniment by organizers from the start of deployment to the camp to the end of camp;
- Сonsultations on any administrative and other issues, information support;
- Сamp stuff (meal, gas, “kitchen” tent) is transported by organizers;
- General camp equipment (Common expedition tent for eating and heating, prepared places for tents);
- Three times per day meal during camp (Breakfast, supper and snacks during the day);
- Gas for cooking;
- Transfer Gudauri – Khorisar – Gudauri;
- 4 days of accommodation in Gudauri;
- Common medical kit and equipment repair kit;
- Celebration party on the last day.
Requirements for participants
- Confident level of off-piste riding;
- Skitour experience;
- Good physical fit;
- Good skills in an avalanche gear;
- Special extreme medical insurance for the camp period 29.03.20 – 04.04.20
Location and weather
A huge lava cone of the Small Khorisar peak created a unique location near Gudauri. This snow plateau is located at the altitude of 2700 m and surrounded by such peaks as Khorisar (3736 m), Dedaena (3450 m) and Khyrguma (3291 m). Steep rocky couloirs of the Dedaena – Khyrguma ridge, snow fields of Small Khorisar with a huge number of snow pillows and steep walls of Khorisar volcano create a perfect and versatile freeride terrain. Northen aspect of slopes and big altitude hold the snow structure for a long time and keep it in a good condition for the riding. That’s the reason, why freeride in April in this area is so popular among experienced riders.
Daily temperatures: -2°C..+2°C.
Temperatures at night: decline to around -10 °C.
- Dates: 29 March – 4 April, 2020
- Base camp altitude: 2630 m above sea level
- Time to base camp: 3-4 hours
- Altitude to gain to reach base camp: 600 m
March 28–31: Hotel in Gudauri
March 31 – April 4: tents;
April 4-5: Hotel in Gudauri.
- Food: cooking with gas stoves, eating in hostel;
- Difficulty level: middle (active riding during 5 days with regular climbs on skitour/splitboard).
Required equipment for riding
- Skitour/splitboard gear
- Avalanche safety gear (beacon, shovel, probe)
- Trekking poles (for splitboarders)
Required equipment for camp
- Sleeping bag (comfort -10 °C)
- Sleeping pad
- Tent (for 2-4 people)
- Gas stove (for 2-4 people)
- Cooking pot (for 2-4 people)
Required personal equipment
- Backpack 45–55 l
- Membrane jacket
- Membrane pants
- Base layer (Thermal underwear)
- Thermal socks – 2-3 pairs
- Mittens / gloves
- Boots (snowboard / ski)
- Down / Synthetic insulation jacket
- Fleece jacket
- Down / Fleece / Synthetic insulated pants
- Head Flashlight + spare set of batteries
- Sunburn cream
- A bowl, a cup, a spoon
- Thermos (optional)
- Personal First Aid Kit
- Spare parts
Preparing for the camp
March 29 During the day we ski the slopes and ski off-piste at Gudauri ski resort. An avalanche training with beacons. In the evening: general meeting in WildGuru hostel.
March 30 Second warm-up day, ski-tour to one of the locations. In the afternoon packing and preparing for moving out.
Detailed camp program
- 8.00–9.00 Transfer to the start point
- 9.00–12.00 Ski-tour to the base camp
- 12.00–14.00 Setting up the camp
- 14.00–18.00 Ski-tour or rest
- Ski-tour in Khorisar area
- 6.00–14.00 Ski-tour
- 14.00–15.00 Packing up the base camp
- 15.00–16.00 Returning to civilization
- 16.00–17.00 Transfer to Gudauri
- 19.00 Good-bye party in Gudauri
- Transfer Tbilisi – Gudauri: 80-100$ (4-7 people);;
- Avalanche equipment (beacon, shovel, probe): €12/day;
- Ski-tour / Splitboard kit: €20/day.
More information about rent here.
Apply as a participant for Khorisar Backountry Camp