Chaukhi Backcountry Camp is a backcountry camp in the Chaukhi Massif area (Greater Caucasus Mountain Range, Georgia).
Dates: 2-10 May 2020
Chaukhi is a unique massif in the Caucasus Mountains. The rocky peaks of Asatiani (3842 m), Javakhishvili (3733 m), Leonidze (3746), Cameroni (3722 m) together with the peaks of Tikanadze (3436 m), Takaishvili (3422 m) and Rcheulishvili (3642 m) create a truly wonderful mountainous terrain. Almost the entire massif faces northward, which maintains the quality of snow even in May. There are opportunities for ski touring and ski mountaineering to suit any taste. The Javakhishvili cirque conceals numerous challenging couloirs with slopes of up to 45°. Not to mention the couloir between the peaks of Javakhishvili and Leonidze! And not forgetting about the snow fields with descents of up to 1000 m. No wonder this place is called the Georgian Dolomites.
Included in the program: 1 day’s acclimatization ski touring and freeriding in the Gudauri-Stepantsminda area, and 6 days’ ski touring and freeriding in the unique region of the Chaukhi Massif.
Cost of the program: € 750
This price includes:
- Transfer from Tbilisi to Stemantsminda/Gudauri and back
- Transfer from Stepantsminda/Gudauri to Dzhuta and back
- Certified RGMA guides
- Accompaniment by organizers from the start of deployment to the camp to the end of camp;
- Сonsultations on any administrative and other issues, information support;
- 3 days of accommodation in Stepantsminda/Gudauri;
- Three times per day meal during camp (6 days in mountsins: breakfast, supper and snacks during the day);
- Gas for cooking;
- Common medical kit and equipment repair kit.
- Air fare to Tbilisi
- Health Insurance and Medical Coverage for Extreme Sports
- Accommodation in Tbilisi
- Meals in Tbilisi and Stepantsminda
- 2,3; 9 May: Hotel in Gudauri/Stepantsminda
- 4–9 May: tents (camp height: 2600m)
Requirements for participants:
- experience of skiing off-piste (with difficult terrain, and slope gradients up to 40°);
- ski tour experience;
- ability to use avalanche equipment;
- to be in good physical shape (daily ski tour ascent is 1000-1500 meters);
- special extreme sports medical insurance plan valid from 02/05/2020 till 10/05/2020.
Detailed program of the camp
2 May – Meeting in Tbilisi. Organizational meeting. Transfer to Gudauri / Stepantsminda. Hotel accommodation. Setting off, stopping at places of interest on the way, lunch in Pasanauri.
3 May – Acclimatization ski tour in the Gudauri-Stepantsminda region. In the evening, packing backpacks and preparing for the transfer to Chaukhi.
4 May – Transportation by car to Juta village. Ascent to the base camp (climb: 450 m, distance: 4 km). Depending on the conditions and amount of snow, it may be possible to transport everything on horseback. Work with avalanche transceivers, search drill, familiarization with the ski tour.
5–8 May – Ski tour in the Chaukhi region
9 May – Ski tour and skiing before lunch. Striking camp and descending to Jute. Transfer to Gudauri / Stepantsminda.
10 May – Transfer to Tbilisi.
Daytime temperature: -2°C..+10°C.
Night temperature is till до -10 °C.
Equipment necessary for skiing:
- Ski tour / splitboard kit
- Ski crampons
- Avalanche equipment (transmitter, shovel, probe)
- Telescopic poles (for snowboarders)
Personal equipment needed for the camp:
- Sleeping bag (comfort rating -10 ° C)
- Sleeping pad (inflatable is recommended)
- Tent (for 2-4 persons)
- Gas stove (for 2-4 people)
- Cooking pot (for 2-4 people)
Required personal equipment
- Capacious backpack with the ability to transport skis / splitboard (minimum 50 liters)
- Soft-shell jacket
- Soft-shell pants
- Thermal underwear
- Thermal socks – 2-3 pairs
- Warm mittens / gloves
- Thin gloves
- Sunglasses (factor 3 or higher)
- Boots (snowboard / ski)
- Change of shoes for the camp
- Down jacket
- Fleece or synthetic jacket
- Down / Fleece / Synthetic Warm Pants
- Headlamp Flashlight + spare batteries
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+)
- Bowl, cup, spoon
- Thermos flask (desirable)
- Personal first aid kit
- Personal repair kit
- Personal Hygiene Products
Write to us: firstname.lastname@example.org!