7 days’ backcountry in the zone of Tuyuk-Su glacier, Tuyuk-Su aiguilles, Manshuk Mametova and Molodezhniy glaciers (Kazakhstan).
Tuyuk-Su is a new point on the ski tour map. You can become one of the few riders to leave your autograph on the slopes of the northern Tian Shan Mountains. There are rocky couloirs, steep glacial slopes, snow fields and lines for ski mountaineering.
The program was created for those who want to ski on winter snow in the late spring, who appreciate a company of like-minded people and who crave backcountry in an area little known for ski tours.
Program dates: 20-30th May, 2020
Program cost: 1180 €
The price includes:
- certified RMGA guides
- accommodation on T1
- transfers from hotel in Almaty to the mountain camp and back
- cooking gas canisters
- first aid kit
- booking additional transfers (optional), organizational assistance in the purchase of provisions, everyday and technical issues
- air fare to Almaty
- accommodation in Almaty (from €10 per night)
- food (from €50 for the entire period)
- transportation from base camp (from €20)
- Health Insurance and Medical Coverage for Extreme Sports
General information about the program:
- Base camp altitude: 3450 m
- Time to reach base camp: 2 to 6 hours
- Ascent to base camp: from 350 meters to 1050 meters
- Time of setting out on the route: 5:00-7:00
- Time of return to the camp: 12:00-14:00
- Vertical ascent: up to 1500 m (by ski tour / hiking)
Requirements for participants:
- experience of skiing off-piste (with difficult terrain, slope gradients of up to 45° and skiing in couloirs);
- ability to use avalanche equipment;
- mountaineering experience is welcome;
- to be in good physical shape (daily ski tour ascent is between 1000-1500 meters);
- special extreme sports medical insurance plan valid from 20/05/2020 to 30/05/2020.
Description of the area:
The area of the Tuyuk-Su glacier is located on the northern slope of the Zailiysky Alatau ridge, 20 kilometers from the city of Almaty, and is a horseshoe-shaped high-altitude valley with peaks over 4000 m. The valley faces northwards, and the glaciated zone starts from a height of 3500 meters. The terrain of the area is complex, characterized by glacial and rock forms; scree and rocky outcrops are found on the slopes of the gorges, and moraine deposits in the valleys.
May sees the development of ideal weather conditions for backcountry: the maximum amount of precipitation, the absence of strong winds, and the snow quality is close to that in winter. The temperature in the morning is below zero, and after lunch there is a rapid increase in temperature, which can feel as much as +20°C in calm weather; at night temperatures can drop to as low as -10°C.
Accommodation and food:
20th, 24-25th May: hotel/hostel in Almaty
21-24th and 26-30th May: glaciological station T1
The base camp is located at the glaciological research station T1, at an altitude of 3500 m. The program participants live in high-altitude shelters – “barrels”. In the evenings all equipment can be charged at the base camp. The participants themselves cook food on the stove, and provisions are purchased in Almaty before transfer to the base camp.
The whole drop-off can be divided into several stages:
- Transfer by taxi from Almaty to Medeu. This stage is always possible and is included in the price.
- Transfer from Medeu to base camp (2400 meters). This stage is always possible and is included in the price.
- Depending on the condition of the road and the amount of snow, it may be possible to take a car to the snow zone. According to past experience, the snow zone starts from a height of 3100 m. It is very likely that we can be taken by car to this altitude. This stage is charged separately, since the price depends largely on the condition of the road.
- Ski tour from the snow limit to T1.
IMPORTANT! Drop-off at T1 and return trip
All items must be packed in backpacks. Ski / snowboard cases are to be left in Almaty. All additional items can be left at the hotel. It is impossible to predict in advance the road conditions from an altitude of 2400 m to T1 – you need to be prepared to hike on a dirt road with equipment for 2-3 hours. Ski touring is often only possible from an altitude of 3100 m.
Day 1. May 20th – meeting up in Almaty, briefing, buying provisions, getting equipment ready and packing backpacks.
Day 2. Transfer and drop-off at the T1 glaciological station.
Days 3- 5. Three days’ ski tour in the area of Tuyuk-Su. After lunch on the fifth day, downhill skiing to 3100 m. Light hiking down to the base camp (with equipment left behind in the shelter). Transfer to Almaty.
Day 6. Day of rest in Almaty.
Day 7. Drop-off at T1 (by car to the base camp, then on foot, and from 3100 m by ski tour).
Day 8-11. Four days’ ski tour in the area of Tuyuk-Su. On the last day, packing up and descending to 3100 m. Depending on the condition of the road, partial descent on foot and transfer by car to Almaty.
For booking please write to email@example.com.